NJSRA Summer 2020 Newsletter
Dear NJSRA members, I hope you’re all doing well and staying healthy. My apologies for not being more in touch since we left the ski slopes so abruptly in early March. We’re headed into the end of the summer and I know many of you are wondering what will happen to our upcoming ski season with respect to Covid-19. There are lots of considerations the various ski area operators are grappling with and so we’re monitoring those developments and NJSRA is following US Ski & Snowboard updates (https://usskiandsnowboard.org/covid-19) closely as we move through these weird times.
On Friday Mountain Creek announced that they are not hosting any events including races or a race program for the upcoming season and that of course presents a massive dilemma for the Ski Club as well as NJSRA. NJSRA will continue to work with the various programs and US Ski and Snowboard to plan our season whatever it may look like and we will keep you informed of any developments with respect to our upcoming ski season.
We unfortunately had to postpone the Annual NJSRA banquet in late April and the decision has at this point been made to merge this year’s event with the 2021 banquet in light of the current restrictions on larger indoor gatherings. However we still need to recognize our amazing athletes for their accomplishments this past season and especially our graduating seniors who in many cases already are off to college or other adventures as I write this.
Here are some other updates:
- We’re planning our first virtual “ZOOM” Town Hall in end September or early October and we’re inviting Sam Damon and Kathy Okoniewski from US Ski & Snowboard to inform us on what’s new on the development side. Stay tuned for the official announcement and invite link.
- General Updates from US Ski & Snowboard Eastern Division:
- There will be no post season events for U14 and younger
- Every US Ski & Snowboard Race is capped to max 100 athletes
- Every Host Mountain will have to have a designated Covid-19 coordinator
- Athletes U12 and under can only use one set of skis, but they can wear race suits going forward.
- The post season jackets that were ordered have arrived. We will distribute them to a representative for each program such that each club can handle the hand-outs.
- Next Board meeting is October 1, from 6:30 to 8:30 PM, it will be a Zoom call meeting, if you’re interested please reach out to Jorgen.firstname.lastname@example.org
A BIG shout out to our 18 Graduating Seniors, thank you for competing within NJSRA all these years, you’re an outstanding group of talented athletes and we wish you all the best in your new endeavors. We hope you continue to enjoy skiing whether competitively or leisurely and most of all we hope you’ll pay us a visit to say hi, compete or coach sometime soon.